So, finally, you have made up your mind to adopt a cat. You will be having some basic requirements for this purpose. Keeping in mind all the expenses, you have to adopt a cat.
However, there are certain things to know before you adopt a cat. It would help if you kept in mind the age, personality and its lifespan. The average lifespan of a cat is 13 to 17 years. They can also live up to 20 years.
There are also commitments like taking care and giving time to your cat. In the case of outdoor cats, the age limit can decrease for 4 to 5 years. This is because they have more chances of getting infections.
Housing and Expenses
- Keeping a cat indoors can reduce the chances of catching bacteria or other infections. Indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats. But you should take them outdoors too for fresh air.
- Cats can meet accidents if we let them out. If you want to spend a longer period of time with your cat, then keep it indoors. Vehicles can also harm them outside.
- In kittens, vaccination is done after 6 months of age. Before 6 months of age, they have a weak immune system. It is possible that they can catch infections outdoors. So before vaccination, do not let them go out.
- When you let your adult cat out, keep a collar with it. There should be a proper name, address and phone number. It is because if they get lost, there should be some contact information. So they will be easily identified.
- You have to keep your cat indoors when there are worse weather conditions. The extreme heat and cold can be harmful to their health
- Cats love to be in a calm place. You can put some bedding in their den and cat trees too. Other cat items can be used, so your cat feels good at your home.
Food Items and Water Necessities
- If you have brought home a kitten, take the best care of it. When you adopt a cat, if it is young, then it should be on kitten food. Either wet or dry. This should be done till the age of approximately 10 to 12 months.
- Keep in mind that instructions behind the food packages are read properly. Your cats should be fed with adequate quantities of carbohydrates, proteins and lipids.
- You have to appoint a good veterinarian for your cat. Vets help you with cat foods and health. They will help you in shifting your cat from kitten to cat food with age.
- One thing to know before you adopt a cat is that there should always be fresh water in its den. Furthermore, change its water every day.
- You should always give outdoor cats freshwater because they can’t have healthy water outside. Be careful in winters that the water does not freeze. You have to keep changing it every day.
Litter and Litter Trays
- When you adopt a cat, and it’s very young, you need to train it for litter box yourself. An adult cat will be trained from the start of its mother. Or else, you can also take guidance from your vet.
- You should always keep one extra litter tray than the number of pets in your home. If there are three cats, it means there should be four litter trays.
- If there is a kitten at your home, try to dump all the litter as soon as possible. This is because your kitten can ingest it accidentally. It can lead to something serious or risky.
- There can be various reasons why your cat is using the litter box inappropriately. This can be because of stress issues. But if it is because of some health issues, consult your veterinarian right away.
- Cats try to groom themselves often. This is done multiple times a day. You don’t even have to give them warm showers. Bathe them when they get dirty by going outside.
- You also have to trim your cat’s nails. Do this every other day. It prevents them from scratching your furniture or other home items such as rugs.
- If you see swelled eyes or dirty ears, consult your vet. This is because it can be a respiratory infection or an ear mite. That’s why it needs treatment.
These are the basic things that you need to know when you adopt a cat. Take care of your cat and fulfil its requirements as needed.